Does the thought of “competition” make you feel anxious, grumpy and out of control?
A part of you denies you even feel like this!
You know your Studio has a solid client base and that your classes are of the highest quality.
And your commitment, vision and passion to Pilates or Yoga is unwavering.
So why does the thought of another Studio opening up nearby or an Instructor leaving your Studio and opening up from home make you “freak out”?
Competition in the “mind-body industries” isn’t usually spoken about out loud.
From a Yoga perspective, there’s an emphasis on non-judging: of yourself and others.
While from a Pilates perspective, each movement allows you to connect deeper with your physical and emotional core – it’s a deeply personal journey.
But there’s no doubt that most Instructors and Studio Owners have felt the force of competition!
Wikipedia defines competition, “as a contest between individuals, groups and animals for territory, a niche, or a location of resources. It arises whenever at least two parties strive for a goal which cannot be shared.”
From a Studio viewpoint, you may feel competition because of a scarcity mindset:
- You’re feeling threatened by another Instructor who can “take your clients”,
- You feel like all your hard work is being undone by a “newcomer”, or
- You live in a small town and feel like there’s only enough room for you.
So how can you cope with competition?
What can you do so competition doesn’t paralyze you and send you into a tail-spin of self-sabotaging behaviour?
- Stop and acknowledge that you’re feeling threatened and “under attack” by competition. Glossing over and ignoring these feelings is one sure way to keep yourself stuck!
- Write down how you feel about your competition: you may feel like you compare yourself to them (and come off 2nd best!) or you may feel exhausted and overwhelmed.
- Be honest about how much time and energy you’re committing to worrying about your competition. Now ask yourself, “What would my Studio look like and how much impact could it make if I committed this time to building my business?”
- Give yourself a break and stop obsessing about “Studio X” or “Instructor Y”. Look at your entire industry with a new mindset and ask yourself, “How can my Studio be the most innovative and fun-filled business in the world? How can my Studio be an industry leader?”
- Now make a list of what you would like to change in the Pilates or Yoga industries and how your Studio can be the catalyst for this change.
Remember, your Studio is an expression of you – and there’s only one of YOU!
Acknowledge and bless your competition for showing you how you can be more of YOU.
Watch how much more energy and passion you have to create a stand-out Studio that’s fun-filled, profitable and exciting to own!